The Fondren Apartment Ministry and Westbury UMC reflect the changing face of Houston and America. Photos by Mark Mulligan
Rule of life of the Fondren Apartment Ministry intentional community
Hannah Terry listens to Moise Mukanya after Sunday worship at Westbury UMC. Photo by Mark Mulligan
When the Rev. Hannah Terry and her partners in ministry moved into an apartment complex in Houston, they agreed to live in community and to abide by this rule of life.
- We will pray daily.
- We will use a variety of forms of prayer, such as the reflective reading of Scripture and other spiritual texts, confession, the prayer of examen, intercession, journaling and contemplation.
- We will fast regularly.
- We will practice a contemplative stance in order to be present to God, the world and ourselves.
- We will be hospitable to our neighbors in our families, neighborhoods and workplaces.
- We will be hospitable to our faith community through participation in our worship, fellowship and mission.
- We will honor and care for the gift of the earth and its resources, practicing ecologically responsible living, striving for simplicity rather than excessive consumption.
- We will practice generosity in sharing our material resources, including money, within and beyond this community.
- We will use our spiritual gifts, talents and abilities to serve God within and beyond this community.
- We will serve God and neighbor out of gratitude for the love of God.
- We will practice mutual accountability with a covenant group within the community, for how we serve God and neighbor.
- We will practice regular Sabbath in individual meaningful ways as a means of renewal, so that we can lovingly serve God and neighbor.
- We will participate in God’s reconciliation work in the world.
- We will resist evil, that we may grow in our covenant with God.
- We will pursue peace in a manner that is just.
- We will share the redeeming, healing, creative love of God in word, deed and presence as an invitation to others to experience the transforming love of God.
I commit to this rule of life and to the well-being of this community, out of gratitude to God who forgives, heals and makes all things new. May my life be a blessing within and beyond God’s church, for the transformation of the world.
Source: Academy for Missional Wisdom